The Greenville Police Department offers certain citizens the opportunity to ride along with a police officer for part of a shift. This allows citizens to see first-hand the daily job an officer performs. The purpose of the ride-along program is to strengthen partnerships with individuals who are stakeholders in the community. Citizens may apply to participate in the GPD Ride-Along Program provided they meet certain requirements.
Ride-along applicants must meet at least one of the below requirements:
- Live, work or attend school in the City of Greenville city limits. Check your location
- Current application for employment with the Greenville Police Department
- Current participant or alumni of the Greenville Police Citizens Academy or Leadership Greenville
- Certified police officer in another jurisdiction
Additionally, applicants must be at least 18 years of age. Approved applicants may ride along no more than once every six months, and ride-alongs are always limited to four consecutive hours. Additional requirements and restrictions apply.
Complete an online application
Citizens will not be allowed to participate in this program if any of the following apply:
- Pending arrest or conviction for any offense
- Any felony arrest within the previous ten (10) years
- Any misdemeanor arrest within the previous five (5) years
- Currently under investigation by any law enforcement agency
- Has been denied employment by this agency and is ineligible to reapply
- Has been terminated by this agency or resigned to avoid disciplinary action
- Has been previously rejected from the ride-along program due to failure to disclose arrest record or other untruthful information on application
- Does not possess a valid, government-issued identification
- Any person who is a member of any organization or participates in any organization deemed by the Chief of Police to be subversive to the department or the policing profession
- Any person who is or has been party to a civil lawsuit against the City of Greenville, the Greenville Police Department, and/or any current employees of the City of Greenville
- Any person who is delinquent in the payment of court-mandated child support
- Any person who appears mentally ill-prepared to exhibit sound judgment
The Chief of Police or his designee retains the right to allow or deny anyone from participation in this program at his/her discretion, with or without cause or explanation.