iMAGINE Upstate fueled by ScanSource will bring over 80 interactive exhibits and shows emphasizing science, technology, engineering, arts and math (STEAM) to downtown Greenville on Saturday, April 6 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Now in its 5th year, the free festival is moving its event site to a new location on Main Street, from Court Street to Augusta Street, and encompassing Falls Park.
“Providing this immersive experience in the heart of downtown Greenville invites children and families of all ages to engage in a world of wonder that helps to spark the kind of curiosity that may very well transform into a dream career goal for a child,” said Kristina Toney, board chair for the festival.
Throughout the day, pre-K through 12th grade students will have the opportunity to engage in hands-on learning experiences facilitated by local corporations, schools and nonprofit organizations. Featured exhibits will include Lego mosaics, hands-on drone racing, air-powered rocket building and testing, Pinewood Derby car making demonstrations, percussion instrument building, a touch-a-truck area and much more.
ScanSource Inc., a leading global provider of technology products and solutions based in Greenville, has been the presenting sponsor of the event since its inception in 2015.
“Technology is changing at such a rapid pace, and in order to keep up with the demand for STEAM-educated workers, we must invest early and often in the development of the next generation of Upstate leaders and innovators,” said Christy Thompson, vice president of worldwide marketing at ScanSource. “Preparing the workforce of tomorrow is a crucial subject for many companies here in our region, and as a global technology provider, it’s something ScanSource is very mindful of. iMAGINE Upstate offers students an opportunity to experience activities and technologies they might not otherwise have the chance to encounter. It’s our hope that by introducing kids to a wide range of STEAM subjects when they’re young, we will be preparing them – and the Upstate – for a brighter, more successful future. We’re excited to be a part of that.”
iMAGINE Upstate will bring science and technology to life through a variety of interactive shows and experience areas, including:
- ScanSource’s STEAM-Fari - A zoo-inspired exhibit that includes interactive displays and hands-on activities that combine ScanSource technology with zoo education. Attendees can control a pan-tilt-zoom security camera to spy on “zoo animals” around Falls Park, see how a snake hunts using thermal vision and learn how animals are tracked using RFID technology.
- Fluor CREATE Experience with FIRST Robotics - Watch FIRST Robotics and Tech competition fun with student teams from across the Upstate. SC Robotics Education Foundation’s FIRST Tech Challenge Teams will compete in fast-paced matches in the Robotics Hub.
- The Bosch Experience powered by Mind Trekkers - A “wow” experience that brings science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics to the hands and minds of students.
- Zip with AJ! Duke Energy and Piedmont Natural Gas LEARN Experience with AJ Whittenberg Elementary School - A unique opportunity to learn about force and motion while soaring through the air on a real zip line.
- BMW Group ENGAGE & PLAY space with The Children’s Museum of the Upstate - A collaborative play environment where children can build towering structures and engage in other hands-on science activities, including snap circuits and robotics.
“The iMAGINE-branded festivals are not possible without the partnership of our corporate partners and support from our communities,” said Kelsye Acker, interim director of iMAGINE. “Our corporate partners not only provide the financial means necessary to offer iMAGINE festivals free to families, but they also engage everyone with exciting exhibits unique to their industry that showcases STEAM careers available in our own communities. We continue to offer iMAGINE so that our communities are aware of the multiple opportunities existing in South Carolina for world-class STEAM careers.”
iMAGINE Upstate will offer Fare Free Day on Greenlink buses, sponsored by Ten at the Top. The free downtown trolley, operated by Greenlink, will also offer shuttle service during the festival. Festival-goers can park for free at County Square and ride the trolley to and from the festival site. The trolley will pick up and drop off attendees at 717 S. Main Street. For more information about iMAGINE Upstate, visit https://www.imaginesteamsc.org/upstate/ and follow the event on social media.
About iMAGINE Upstate
iMAGINE Upstate fueled by ScanSource is a program of the Upstate SC STEM Collaborative and part of South Carolina’s Coalition for Mathematics & Science (SCCMS) at Clemson University. Its mission is to create meaningful experiences that promote a culture of lifelong learning and professional growth with an emphasis on science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics (STEAM), innovation, and entrepreneurial activity in South Carolina. iMAGINE Upstate is an annual street festival coordinated in partnership with the City of Greenville and held in early April. iMAGINE Upstate strives to be a leader in Upstate student preparedness by facilitating collaboration among industry partners, academic institutions, nonprofit organizations, and the community. For more information visit https://www.imaginesteamsc.org/upstate/ and follow on Facebook and @imagineupstate on Twitter. #iMAGINEif
# # #